Frozen Neapolitan Terrine
- Three different layers with distinct flavours and textures combine into one fabulous dessert reminiscent of the well-known striped ice cream. It’s as delicious as homemade ice cream but easier to make. If you can whip cream, you can make this with ease!
- Course Desserts & Sweets
- Prep. Time 30 mins
- Refrigeration Time 4 - 6 hrs
- Yields 8 to 10
- 3 oz (90 g) bittersweet (dark) chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) 35% whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup (250 ml) sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh strawberries (thawed if frozen) or
Line a 9 x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan with plastic wrap, overlapping pieces as necessary to leave about 4 inches (10 cm) excess on all sides, making as smooth as possible; set aside.
In a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of hot, not boiling, water, melt chocolate and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cream; stir until smooth and let cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, in a medium, dry skillet over medium heat, toast almonds, stirring constantly, for about 3 min or just until golden and fragrant. Let cool.
In a large, chilled bowl, using an electric mixer, whip remaining cream until soft peaks. Beat in 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the sugar just until stiff peaks form.
Using mixer, beat cooled chocolate mixture until lighter in colour; fold in one-third of the whipped cream until evenly blended. Spread into bottom of loaf pan and sprinkle with one-quarter of the almonds. Freeze for about 15 min or until starting to firm up. Cover remaining whipped cream and refrigerate.
Fold vanilla into remaining whipped cream and spread half over chocolate layer in loaf pan; sprinkle with one-quarter of the almonds and return to freezer for 15 min.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, blender or with an immersion blender, purée strawberries with remaining sugar until fairly smooth; fold into remaining whipped cream. Spread over vanilla layer and sprinkle with half of remaining almonds. Wrap overhanging plastic over top and freeze for at least 3 hrs or until firm, or for up to 1 week
To serve, use plastic wrap as handles to remove terrine from pan and place on a cutting board. Unwrap and cut into slices. Serve slices sprinkled remaining almonds.