Yukon Gold Potato And Chanterelle Gratin With Stilton Chees
- 5 ounces crumbled Stilton blue cheese - (abt 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound chanterelle mushrooms (you can substitute or mix these with hedgehog or oyster mushrooms)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, and sliced into very thin rounds
Position the oven rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Thoroughly butter a 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish.
Place the cheese in a medium-sized bowl and add about 1/2 cup of the cream. Mash the mixture to a chunky paste, mixing in 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Mix in the remaining 2 cups of cream.
Melt the butter in a heavy pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and herbs. Saute until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has reduced. This should take about 8 minutes.
Arrange half of the potatoes on the bottom of the prepared dish. Spoon 3/4 cup of cheese sauce evenly over the top. Top with all of the mushroom mixture, about 3/4 cup of the cheese sauce, then the remaining potatoes. Top with the remaining cheese sauce. Cover the dish with foil.
Bake the gratin for about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the potatoes are tender, the top is golden brown, and the sauce is thickened. This should take an additional 30 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
This recipe yields ?? servings.