Pumpkin & Chicken Chowder
- 2 red bell peppers,
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 pumpkin (2 lbs) peeled, seeded, cut into 1" chunks
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed (1 c)
- 3 14 1/2 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
Preheat oven to broil. Place the red peppers and jalapenos on a baking sheet and cook under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the skins blacken-about 10 minutes. Seal the charred peppers in a plastic bag for 10-12 minutes. Peel, stem, seed and cut peppers into 1/2" pieces. Set aside
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat
add the chicken pieces and cook until browned. Remove the chicken and keep warm.
add the leeks and pumpkin and saute for about 5 minutes.
add the flour, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the corn, peppers, chicken, broth and oregano and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer-about 30 minutes. Garnish with sour cream.