Wild And Arborio Rice, Wild Mushrooms, Chestnuts, Cherries
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion chopped fine
- 1 pound fresh porcini mushrooms cleaned, diced (or substitute shiitake or portabello)
- 12 fresh roasted chestnuts shelled, chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups cooked wild rice hot
- 2 cups cooked arborio rice hot
Heat a large skillet over high heat for just under a minute. Melt the butter and add the onion. Continue cooking until the onions are translucent, then add the porcini mushrooms. Cook about five minutes, then blend in the dried cherries and the wine. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the chestnuts and sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Just before serving, stir in the hot rice.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.