APPERTIZER - Red Wine Roasted Mushrooms on Goat Cheese Garlic Toasts
- 12 ounces mini mushrooms (portobellos/white), stems removed if desired
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 loaf of artisan grain bread or 1 baguette, sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 12 ounces goat cheese, softened
Adapted from howsweeteats.com
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Add mushrooms to a large baking dish, then add butter, olive oil, garlic, thyme and oregano, tossing well to coat. Pour in the red wine and mix well, coating all the mushrooms. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and juicy, tossing once or twice in between cooking time. Remove and sprinkle on salt and pepper, stirring well. Sprinkle on chopped parsley.
While the mushrooms are cooking, prepare sliced bread on a baking sheet. Spread with softened butter and a sprinkle of garlic salt. Either place on the lower rack in the oven under the mushrooms, or wait until the mushrooms are finished. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown, checking once during cooking time. Remove and let cool slightly, then spread with softened goat cheese. Top with mushrooms!