HOME MADE CHEEZ ITS
- 8 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 c flour
- 2 T ice water
Cooking time 120mins
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the cheddar, butter, and salt until soft and combined. Add the flour and mix on low speed (the dough will be dry and pebbly). Slowly add the water and continue to mix as the dough forms a ball.
2. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour. Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each into a very thin (1/8 inch or less) 10×12-inch rectangle. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the rectangles into 1-inch squares, then transfer to the baking sheets. Use the tip of a chopstick to punch a hole into the center of each square.
3. Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.
4. Bake 13-15 minutes until golden brown. Watch carefully, as the high fat content of the crackers makes it a fine line between golden delicious and burnt. Immediately move the crackers to racks to cool.