Szechwan Beef With Shiitakes
- 1 pound skirt steak sliced 1/8" thick
- across the grain
- 1 piece fresh ginger - (abt 1") peeled, and chopped or crushed
- 3 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
- 1 dried hot red pepper - (abt 3" long) chopped
- Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 pound shiitakes* stemmed
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 dash Asian sesame oil
- 1 medium onion cut into wedges
- 1/2 pound asparagus or broccoli florets cut 1/4" diagonally
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* Alternate Mushrooms: Oyster Mushroom
In a bowl, combine the beef, ginger, garlic, red pepper, and black pepper. Add 1/4 cup of the sherry. Stir well and allow to marinate for 1 hour. Cut a shallow cross in the top of each shiitake and set aside. In a bowl, combine the bean sauce, cornstarch, honey, and beef broth.
Add 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil to a hot wok or skillet. When hot, add the meat and seasonings. Stir-fry over high heat until just past rare. Remove to a bowl.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil and the sesame oil. Add the onion, vegetables, and shiitakes and stir-fry 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sherry and the soy sauce. Cover. Raise the heat and stir until slightly thickened.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 main course servings.