Chicken Biscuit Pie
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 c. diced carrots, celery, etc.
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken meat
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
2. In a large saucepan, saute chopped onion in the butter. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add frozen and/or fresh vegetables and cooked chicken. Pour into buttered 2 quart casserole dish.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just until dough is moistened, then drop by spoonfuls onto chicken mixture.
4. Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown, and cooked on the bottom. This tends to bubble over so I place a piece of aluminum foil under the pan to catch the drips.