Shaggy Mane Quiche
- 1/2 recipe your savory pie crust
- 5 bacon slices - (to 6) cut 1" pieces
- 1/2 pound shaggy manes* - (to 1 lb) sliced
- 4 shallots or green onions minced
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated provolone cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 4 eggs well beaten
- 2 cups half and half
* Alternate Mushrooms: Chanterelle, Common Store Mushroom, Morels
Prepare the pie crust. Roll the dough out to a 10-inch crust. Line a 9-inch pie pan with the crust. Crimp the edges.
In a sauté pan or skillet, fry the bacon until crisp, then remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and sauté the mushrooms and shallots until the shallots are translucent and most of the mushroom liquid has evaporated.
Spread the bacon over the pie crust. Add the grated cheese, then the mushroom and shallots. Mix the nutmeg, salt, and cayenne into the beaten eggs. Add the cream. Slowly pour the custard mixture over the bacon, cheese, and mushrooms.
Bake the quiche in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes or until the custard is set and the top is brown.
This recipe yields 6 first course servings.