- Basic Pizza Dough, recipe follows
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 cup sliced yellow onions
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced seeded and stemmed jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound sliced ham
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced pepperoni or salami
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 cups grated provolone
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until browned and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos and cook, stirring, until very soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool.
Punch down the dough and divide half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to a large rectangle, about 10 by 14 inches. Spread half of the cooled sausage mixture across the dough leaving a 1-inch border. Overlapping slightly, layer half of the ham, pepperoni, olives, provolone and mozzarella cheeses over the top. Using a pastry brush, paint the border of 1 long edge with egg wash. Starting at the opposite long end without egg wash, roll up the dough into a cylinder, pinching the edges to seal. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Let the dough rise, 20 to 30 minutes.
Brush the top of each stromboli with egg wash. Bake until nearly completely golden brown and starting to crisp, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle each stromboli with Parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and the dough is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Slice thickly and serve.