Chickpea and Winter Vegetable Stew
- virgin olive oil 1 cup chopped onion 1 cup (1/2
- inch) slices leek 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper 1 garlic clove, minced 3 2/3 cups Simple Vegetable Stock, divided 2 cups (1
- inch) cubed peeled butternut squash 1 cup (1/2
- inch) slices carrot 3/4 cup (1
- inch) cubed peeled Yukon gold potato 1 tablespoon harissa 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 pound turnips, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges (about 2 medium) 1 (15 1/2
- ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat
- leaf parsley 1 1/2 teaspoons honey 1 1/3 cups uncooked couscous 8 lemon wedges
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and leek; sauté 5 minutes. Add coriander and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 3 cups Simple Vegetable Stock and the next 8 ingredients (through chickpeas); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in parsley and honey.
2. Remove 2/3 cup hot cooking liquid from squash mixture. Place cooking liquid and remaining 2/3 cup stock in a medium bowl. Stir in couscous. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges.