Roasted Vegetable Portabella Pizza
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 portabella mushroom caps - (3" to 5" dia)
- 2 tablespoons Chinese oyster sauce
- 2 bell peppers, preferably yellow or red cut into quarters
- 4 jalapeño peppers sliced in half, stems but not seeds removed
- 1 bunch small scallions
- 4 half-inch-thick eggplant slices
- 4 ounces Mexican Chihuahua grated or sliced (or other good melting cheese such as Monterey Jack)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. Remove from heat and set aside.
Cut off the portabella stems and reserve for another purpose. Paint the gill sides with oyster sauce and set aside.
Place the peppers, scallions and eggplant in a baking dish and put in the oven. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until the peppers are pliable and have lost their firmness. Remove from the oven and place the vegetables in a bowl. Pour in the marinade, stir, and set aside for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Strain the vegetables from the marinade and distribute them evenly over the caps. Cover with the cheese and place in the oven for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve immeadiately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.