Golden Macaroni and Cheese
The easy method for making the thickener for the cheese sauce is the key to this recipe. You simply shake the ingredients in a jar - it is fool proof and fun!
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 cups milk (I use whole milk)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided ( I use one block of Sharp Cheddar and one block of Extra-Sharp Cheddar cheese)
- 1 cup soft plain breadcrumbs ( The recipe suggest homemade breadcrumbs, but I use store bought - not Italian breadcrumbs, just plain)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (I use butter)
Adapted from elizabethsedibleexperience.blogspot.com
COOK macaroni according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.
PLACE milk, flour, and onion salt in a quart jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously 1 minute.
STIR together flour mixture, 3 1/2 cups cheese, and macaroni.
POUR macaroni mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish or 2 (11 inch) oval baking dishes.
Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese; drizzle evenly with melted butter.
BAKE at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown.