Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/2 * 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 * 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 * 1 can (8 oz) pineapple slices in juice, drained, 1/4 cup juice reserved
- 11/4 * 11/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 * 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 * 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 * 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 * 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 * 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 * 1/4 cup milk
- 2 * 2 eggs
- 1/2 * 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 8 * 8 maraschino cherries with stems
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In 9-inch round pan, mix 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and the brown sugar; spread evenly to cover bottom of pan. Cut pineapple slices in half; arrange 4 halves over brown sugar mixture in center of pan. Cut remaining halves in half again; arrange pieces around edge of pan.
2. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. With spoon or wire whisk, beat in remaining 6 tablespoons melted butter, 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice and all remaining gingerbread ingredients until smooth. Spoon batter carefully over pineapple; spread to cover.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Run knife around side of pan to loosen. Place heatproof serving plate, upside down, over pan. Turn plate and pan over; remove pan. Cut into wedges. Serve with whipped cream and cherries.