Potato And Leek Soup With White Truffle
- 6 medium leeks
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces smoked bacon or smoked ham in one piece
- 1 small celery stalk thinly sliced
- 1 cup riesling wine
- 10 ounces Yukon gold potatoes - (abt 2 med) peeled, quartered
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, crushed
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons white truffle oil - (to 3)
- 1 small white truffle
Remove the outer leaves and the coarse green part from the leeks. Split them lengthwise and rinse well. Slice thinly, keeping the green and white parts separate.
Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a soup pot set over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is cooked but not browned. (Lower the heat if necessary.) Add the white part of the leeks and the celery and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the wine and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the potatoes, stock, thyme and garlic. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the green part of the leeks and cook a few minutes, until just tender but still bright green.
Remove and discard the bacon and thyme sprig. Working in batches, puree the soup, adding the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the blender as you work. Return the soup to the pot and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Just before serving, reheat the soup and whisk in the truffle oil. Cut the truffle into slivers and stir it in. Serve with croutons if desired.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Leek and Garlic Mashed Potatoes 4.5/5 (47 Votes)
- Hearty Leek and Potato Soup 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Brie-Leek Tartlets 5/5 (4 Votes)