Portabella Salad With Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 large or 2 medium fresh tomatoes sliced thin into
- about as many pieces as you have of
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella cheese cut 1/2"-thk rounds
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 whole portabella caps - (3" to 4" dia) thinly sliced
- 2 whole marinated roasted peppers sliced 1"-wide
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh basil
Alternate the slices of tomato and mozzarella on 4 plates. Blend together the oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle half of it over the tomatoes and cheese. Then place the slices of mushrooms and peppers crossed over one another on top of the tomato and cheese and sprinkle with the rest of the dressing. Finally, sprinkle the basil over top of the entire salad and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Start with whole portabella caps for this salad, because you need thinner slices than those found in packages. Balsamic vinegar is generally available in specialty stores; buy the best you can afford. The very old ones are sweet with an acid edge perfect for this dish although most good commercial brands will do. Do not substitute regular wine vinegar.