Pasta With Chanterelles
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes sliced 1/4" strips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter plus
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon shallots minced
- 1/2 pound chanterelle mushrooms cut into quarters
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 pound spelt angel hair pasta
- 2 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan
- 1 scallion trimmed, and sliced diagonally into 1/4" slices
Cover the dried tomatoes with 1/2 cup boiling water and let stand about five minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid.
Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat and use it to saute the shallots for about one minute, or until they're tender. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and continue to saute for about 3 minutes, stirring almost constantly. Stir in the milk, salt, and white pepper. Add the reserved soaking liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 12 minutes, or until the volume is reduced by about 1/4.
Cook the pasta according to instructions, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and scallions.
This recipe yields ?? servings.