Turkey & Veggie Chili
by Dr Vikki Petersen
This is a satisfying dish that will “stick to your ribs” and keep you nice and warm in the winter months.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground dark turkey meat (free-range, hormone-free)
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups organic chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 organic green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can organic tomatoes or 6-7 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2-3 Tbsp Chili powder (based on how spicy you like it!)
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 4 cups cooked black or kidney beans
- Avocado, green onion, & cilantro slices for garnish
• Sautee the turkey meat in 1 Tbsp olive oil until brown and crumbly.
• Transfer browned meat to large stew pot. This is the pot you’ll use for the chili.
• Sautee the vegetables in remaining olive oil for about 5 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
• Transfer sautéed veggies into chili pot.
• Add the stock, tomatoes, and seasonings and bring to a boil, skim and then simmer for 1 hour.
• Add the beans and simmer for another ½ hour. (You may need to add a little more broth or water depending on how thick you like your chili).
• Garnish with avocado, cilantro, and/or chopped green onions.