- 1 quart jar with a lid
- 2-3 pickling cucumbers (as many as you can fit in the jar)
- 5 sprigs of fresh dill (or 1 Tbsp dry dill)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic crushed and minced (we use 4)
- 3 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 - 1 Tbsp kosher salt, to taste (I use 3/4 Tbsp)
- distilled or filtered water – enough to top off jar
- 20 black peppercorns, optional
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
Adapted from diynatural.com
Cut pickles into discs, spears, or sandwich slices and add to the jar with all ingredients except the water.
Once everything is in the jar, fill to the very top with distilled or filtered water and screw lid on very tightly.
Shake the jar up to distribute flavors and leave on your countertop for 12 hours.
Shake again and turn upside down for another 12 hours, making sure the lid is screwed on tightly to avoid leakage.
After pickles have set for a total of 24 hours they are ready.
Store in refrigerator and enjoy within a month for maximum freshness.