Pulled Pork - Saucy Style
Tender enough to be shredded with a fork, pulled pork makes an easy buffet mainstay. Offer buns (to pile high with pork), pickled jalapeno peppers, shredded Cheddar cheese and light sour cream.
- 3 1/2 lb (1.75 kg) pork shoulder blade roast
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) tomato paste
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each packed brown sugar and cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown pork all over. Transfer to slow cooker.
Add onions, garlic, chili powder, coriander and bay leaves to Dutch oven; fry, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, until darkened, about 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until pork is tender, *8 to 10 hours*.
Transfer pork to cutting board and tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. With two forks, shred or "pull" pork.
Meanwhile, pour liquid from slow cooker into large saucepan; skim off fat. Bring to boil over high heat; boil vigorously until reduced to 3 cups (750 mL), about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
Add pork; reduce heat and simmer until hot, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.