- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 6 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Makes: 6 servings
Prep 40 mins Cool 1 hr Bake 400°F 20 mins
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. For topping, in a medium bowl stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, salt, and, if desired, cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
2. For filling, in a large saucepan combine the cherries, the 1 cup sugar, and the cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until cherries juice out, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Keep filling hot.
3. In a small bowl stir together egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just to moisten. Transfer hot filling to a 2-quart square baking dish. Using a spoon, immediately drop topping into six mounds on top of filling.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. If desired, serve warm with ice cream.
5. Makes 6 servings