Maple Apple Oatmeal Muffins
The combination of apples and maple are the perfect addition to these moist oatmeal muffins. They're great for break fast on the run.
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups finely diced apples (unpeeled or peeled)
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly butter nonstick muffin pans or line with paper liners.
2. In a bowl, combine oats an dmil; met stand for 5 minutes. In separate large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk sugar, maple syrup, egg, butter and vanilla into milk mixture. Pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with apples. Stir just until moistened.
3. Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for about 25 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. TRansfer to rack.
4. Topping: Brush warm muffin tops with maple syrup. Let cool completely.
Cooking Tip: Pure maple syrup is important for this recipe. Imitation maple-flavored pancake syrup won't give the right flavour or texture.
For the best flavour and texture, choose tart apples that hold their shape when cooked such as Granny Smith, Northern Spy or Crispin (Mutsu).