Chicken In Red Wine With Shiitakes
- 12 small dried or 7 fresh shiitakes* stemmed
- 1 roasting hen - (4 to 5 lbs) cut serving pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 bacon slices - (to 6) cut 1" slices
- 10 boiling onions
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Soy sauce to taste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
* Alternate Mushrooms: Boletes, Shaggy Parasol Mushroom
If using dried mushrooms, rinse them and set aside. Dredge the chicken in the flour.
Fry the bacon in a sauté pan or skillet until crisp. Remove to a paper towel with a slotted spoon. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and brown on all sides.
Transfer the chicken to baking dish with a cover. Add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, bacon, soy sauce, red wine, and salt and pepper. Cover and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until the chicken is very tender.
This recipe yields 5 or 6 main course servings.