Chicken Baked With Puffballs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 chicken - (2 1/2 to 3 lbs) cut serving pieces
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 whole garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter or more
- 1 pound puffballs - (about) peeled, and cut into thick slices
* Alternate Mushrooms: Common Store Mushroom, Oyster Mushroom
Mix the flour, tarragon, salt, and pepper in a paper bag. Shake the chicken pieces in the bag one at a time.
In a sauté pan or skillet, sauté the chicken in the oil until brown. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and arrange them in a baking dish. Add the wine to the sauté pan and let it boil for 2 or 3 minutes. Pour the wine over the chicken. Add the garlic cloves to the dish, cover, and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
While the chicken bakes in the oven, add the butter to the same pan and sauté the puffballs. Toss and gently coat the mushrooms in butter for 7 to 10 minutes or until they turn brown. Add more butter if necessary.
Remove the chicken from the oven and skim off the fat. Add the mushrooms. Cover and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer.
This recipe yields 4 main course servings.