Chicken And Morel Camp Dish
- 1 chicken - (abt 3 lbs) cut 8 serving pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion diced (or substitute ramps)
- 1 pound morel mushrooms - (abt 24 medium sized)
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water (you can mix this with some red or white wine, or chicken stock)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dried herbs to taste (such as basil, rosemary, or oregano)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Pump up the camp stove and light the burner! Heat a Dutch oven over your camp stove, adding the butter or oil. Add the onions and garlic, or ramps if you're lucky enough to have some. Saute until softened and add the chicken pieces. Brown and season with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and stir.
Add the rice and stir well to coat with oil.
Add the herbs and liquid. Bring to a simmer and cover tightly. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking at a simmer for about 40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and all the liquid is absorbed by the rice. This recipe serves 4 hungry people, straight from the pot to the plate.
This recipe yields 4 servings.