Beef Stew With Black Trumpet Mushrooms
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 Spanish onion diced
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 pound black trumpet mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
Trim all visible fat from the flank steak. Slice the steak diagonally into very thin pieces, about 1/8-inch thick.
Heat 2/3 of the oil in a saucepan over high heat until it begins to smoke. Add the beef and sear on all sides. Cook until the juices which have been released from the beef evaporate completely.
Remove the beef and immediately add the remaining oil. Add the carrot, onion, and celery. Cook until tender.
Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, cooking until the mushrooms soften and begin to brown. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Stir in the wine and return to a simmer. Stir in the broth, return the beef to the pan, and cover.
Simmer until the meat is tender, at least 20 minutes. Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. Remove the stew from the heat and stir in the sage.
Divide the polenta and spoon it into the center of dinner plates. Form a "well" in the center of each polenta serving and ladle the stew into the center. Serve piping hot.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (704 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (666 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (379 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage,... 4.5/5 (165 Votes)