Beef And Red Wine In A Clay Pot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 pounds lean chuck roast cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 7 boiling onions - (to 10)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh shaggy parasol mushrooms* (or 3 oz dried shaggy parasol mushrooms)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 12 peppercorns
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
* Alternate Mushrooms: Black Saddle Mushroom, Hedgehog Mushroom
Soak a clay pot in water for 15 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, mix the salt and flour together. Roll the meat in the flour. Heat the oil in a sauté pan or skillet and sauté the meat until it is browned. Transfer the meat to the clay pot and add the garlic, onions, mushrooms, bay leaf, marjoram, and peppercorns. Pour the wine over these ingredients.
Place in a cold oven set to 400 degrees and cook for 2 hours. Remove the bay leaf before serving. Add the pepper just before serving.
This recipe yields 6 main course servings.