Potato Gratin with Wild Mushrooms
Delicious and low fat scalloped potatoes
- 4 c. yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 sachets chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 c. boiling water
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/4 c. light coffee cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 c. sliced portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
1. Place sliced potatoes in a large saucepan
2. Mix boullion with boiling water and add to potatoes; add more water if necessary to just cover potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and reserve liquid.
3. In skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and garlic, cook stirring, until softened but not browned.
4. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 c. of liquid drained from potatoes. Cook stiring until sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Place half the potatoes in a six cup baking dish. Spread mushrooms over potatoes; top wih half the sauce.
6. Add remaining potatoes and top with remaining sauce. Bake uncovered in 400 oven for 30 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is browned.