Roasted Potato Salad
- Warm, Bacon Vinaigrette:
- 2 (1 1/2 pound) bags yellow baby potatoes, either halved or quartered depending on size
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided use, plus a drizzle for the baking sheet
- 1 teapsoon sea salt, plus a pinch, divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 large red onion, quartered and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 strips apple smoked bacon, uncured, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons reserved, warm bacon drippings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Adapted from thecozyapron.com
-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
-In a large bowl, add the halved (or quartered) baby potatoes along with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the 1 teaspoon of sea salt and the cracked pepper, and toss well to combine; drizzle a little bit of olive oil onto the foil lined baking sheet, and turn the baby potatoes out onto the baking sheet and roast for 35-40, or until golden-brown and tender; while potatoes roast, crisp the bacon and caramelize the red onion.
-In a medium-large non-stick pan set over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; when hot, add the sliced red onion and the tablespoon of sugar, and toss to coat with a pair of tongs; cook/caramelize the red onions on medium for about 12-14 minutes, or until a golden, caramel color, and softened; once onions are caramelized, add the pinch of sea salt to them, stir to incorporate, and remove from heat; set aside and keep warm until ready to add to potato salad.
-Next, in a medium, non-stick pan set over medium heat, cook the bacon pieces until brown and crispy, and then remove them with a slotted spoon and onto a paper towel to drain; reserve 3 tablespoons of the bacon drippings, and set aside to use in the vinaigrette; keep the drippings warm.
-Once the baby potatoes are roasted, remove from oven, and allow them to cool for a few moments while you prepare the warm, bacon vinaigrette, below.
-In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients beginning with the apple cider vinegar through the salt; slowly drizzle in the bacon drippings while whisking, and then the olive oil; whisk until the vinaigrette is well combined.
-Add the warm, roasted baby potatoes to a large bowl, and then add the caramelized red onion, the crispy bacon, the chopped flat-leaf parsley and the vinaigrette; toss well to completely combine, making sure that all of the potatoes are well dressed; divide equally among plates, and serve while still warm.
*This potato salad is also quite delicious served cold, perhaps with the addition of spinach or arugula greens.