Tomatoes- Preserved Tomatoes (Tomates Confites)
- 4 tomatoes, cored and peeled
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
Preheat oven to 200°. Halve tomatoes crosswise and gently squeeze out seeds.
2. Drizzle 2 tbsp. of the oil into a medium baking dish, add tomatoes, cut side up, drizzle with remaining 4 tbsp. of oil, and sprinkle with sugar and salt. Season with pepper.
3. Scatter thyme, bay leaves, and garlic into dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn tomatoes cut side down and bake, turning them every 1/2 hour, until soft but not falling apart, about 5 1/2 hours more.