- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/3 pound cleaned assorted mushrooms trimmed, chopped (such as shiitakes, oysters, or cinnamon cap)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions green portion only
- 2 tablespoons white truffle oil
- 1 medium black truffle for shaving, totally not optional
Use a large saute pan to heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onions soften, about three minutes. Add the stock and the garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and continue to simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the rice and simmer for about another 10 minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should become creamy and bubbly in about 8 minutes. Stir in the cream, the butter, the green onions, cheese, and truffle oil. Simmer for about another 2 minutes, stirring the whole time.
Remove the skillet from the heat and spoon the risotto into the center of about eight bowls. Garnish with freshly shaved black truffle.
This recipe yields 8 servings.