Really Wild Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 pound domestic mushrooms rinsed, sliced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms cleaned, washed, and sliced
- 1/2 pound baby blue oyster mushrooms cleaned, washed, and sliced
- 1/2 pound chanterelle mushrooms cleaned, washed, and sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots peeled, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 quart skim milk
- 1 branch fresh thyme
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound black trumpet mushrooms rinsed, and torn into strips
- 1/4 pound enoki mushrooms
- 1 small bunch chives cut 1" sticks
Keeping the domestic mushrooms separate from the other varieties, wash the mushrooms quickly in lukewarm water in a deep bowl. Mix the mushrooms well to loosen the dirt. Remove them gently by hand, leaving the dirt in the bottom of the bowl. Remove the stems from the oyster and shiitake mushrooms, then slice all mushrooms except the trumpets and the enokis.
Heat a 2-gallon soup pot over moderate heat. Add the olive oil, the chopped domestic mushrooms, and the minced shallots. Cook until the mushrooms are wilted and soft, then add the remaining mushrooms. Continue to cook for about five minutes, then add the vermouth. Reduce for about five minutes.
Add the skim milk, the thyme sprig, garlic, and nutmeg. Bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately lower it to a simmer. Cook for about a half hour, then remove the thyme sprig. Season with salt, then cool slightly. When sufficiently cool, pour the mixture into a blender and puree. Blanche the strips of black trumpet mushrooms in boiling water, then cool and add to the enoki mushrooms and chives.
To serve, divide the tossed enoki and black trumpet mushrooms into six equal portions and place them in the bottom of soup bowls. Pour the piping hot soup over the mushrooms and enjoy!
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Potato-Mushroom Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)