Pickled Milky Caps
- 1 slice fresh ginger - (abt 1/8" thk)
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 allspice berries
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 4 small dried hot red chilies
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound milky cap mushrooms* sliced
* Alternate Mushrooms: Common Store Mushrooms, Hedgehog Mushrooms
In a cheesecloth bag, place the ginger, caraway seeds, allspice, mustard seeds, peppercorns, chilies, garlic, and cloves. Tie securely.
In a large pot, simmer the water, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and the cheesecloth bag for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the cheesecloth bag. Place the mushrooms in a hot sterilized pint jar and seal.
This recipe yields 1 pint.