Pan Roasted Chanterelle-Gorgonzola Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 2 ounces bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 ounces minced yellow onion
- 4 ounces fresh chanterelles trimmed, cleaned
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Kosher salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- PAN-ROASTED CHICKEN BREAST:
- 2 twelve-ounce skin-on chicken breasts split into 4 halves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces chanterelle stuffing recipe (above)
- 2 ounces canola oil
For the Stuffing: Saute the garlic, shallots, and onions in the bacon fat in a medium hot saucepan. Add the mushrooms and continue sauteing until tender. Deglaze with the white wine, chill, and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl add the cool chanterelle stuffing mix, the Gorgonzola, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix gently. Chill and set aside.
For the Pan-Roasted Chicken Breast: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butterfly the four chicken breasts with a boning knife. Stuff each chicken breast with about 2 ounces of the chanterelle/gorgonzola mix, then tie with butcher twine to hold it together. Season each breast with salt and pepper.
Add the canola oil to a hot saute pan, then lay the chicken in the pan skin-side down. Char for about a minute, turn over, and continue cooking for another 30 seconds or so. Place the entire pan in a 350 degree oven and roast until done.
This recipe yields 4 servings.