Morels Stuffed With Sausage
- 1 pound finely-ground sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup cracker crumbs
- 20 large morels* - (to 25) halved lengthwise
* Alternate Mushrooms: Common Store Mushroom, Shiitake
In a sauté pan or skillet, fry the sausage quickly and break it into small pieces. Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove as much fat as possible with a spoon. Add the salt and pepper, nutmeg, parsley, and cracker crumbs.
Fill the morels with the mixture, mounding the filling. Place the mushrooms in a buttered shallow baking dish. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a preheated 450 degree oven.
This recipe yields 10 appetizer servings.