Fetuccine With Morel Mushrooms And Country Ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fresh fetuccine (or 4 oz dried)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh morel mushrooms (or 1/4 cup dried, reconstituted in warm water)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch freshly-ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 thin slices well-trimmed country ham cut into ribbons
- the same width as the fetuccine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Bring 4 quarts of water to rolling boil and add the salt. Cook the fetuccine until just barely al dente. Drain in a colander and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Keep warm,
In a 10 inch saute pan, melt the butter and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the high heat. Add the morels just as the butter begins to color. saute rapidly until the mushrooms begin to crisp around the edges. Add the shallot and garlic and saute for 1 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
In a 4-quart saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Reduce the heat and add half of the sauteed mushrooms. Reserve the other half for garnish. Cook until the cream thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the cheese. Add the nutmeg and season with slat and pepper.
Add the fetuccine to the sauce and toss well to combine.
To Serve: Using tongs, place a mound of fetuccine in each of two warm serving bowls and pour a bit of the remaining sauce over the noodles. Place the reserved mushrooms on top of the fetuccine and divide the ham evenly among the bowls. Garnish with chives.
This recipe yields 2 servings.