Crab And Wild Mushroom Chowder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 Idaho potatoes diced small cubes
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup small-diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped leeks
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 pound fresh wild chanterelle mushrooms
- 10 ounces lump crabmeat preferably backfin
Bring the chicken stock to a boil and blend the arrowroot with enough cold water to form a thick slurry. Blend the slurry into the stock using a whisk, and return to a boil until the mixture begins to thicken slightly.
Add the potatoes to the stock and again bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender. This should take between 20 and 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the evaporated milk, the salt, pepper, and heavy cream.
Saute the garlic, onion, celery and leeks in butter until the onion is translucent. Now, blend the onion mixture into the potato mixture. Add the sherry.
Saute the mushrooms in the mushroom stock until tender, then drain and strain the cooking liquid into the soup. Divide the crabmeat and the warm mushrooms into 8 heated bowls, then add the hot soup and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.