- 1 pound haricots verts (thin French green beans)
- 1 1/2 cups red pearl onions
- 3/4 pound white fingerling potatoes sliced very thin
- 1/2 pound fresh chanterelles cleaned, trimmed, with tough stems discarded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas (abt 1 1/4 lbs in the pods)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Nearby, have a large bowl of ice water ready. Trim the haricots verts into 3-inch pieces and blanch them in boiling water for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
Transfer the beans with a slotted spoon to the ice water to immediately stop the cooking process.
Drain them in a colander. In the same boiling water, cook the onions for about 5 minutes and transfer to a colander. Peel and halve the onions and transfer them to a bowl. The vegetables may be prepared a day ahead of time up until this point. Make sure they are cooled completely, and chilled in a sealable plastic bag.
Cut the chanterelles in half or quarters, if they are large. In a heavy skillet, heat the unsalted butter over moderate heat until the foam subsides. Cook the mushrooms with salt to taste, stirring occasionally, for about 2 or 3 minutes, or until they are tender. Add the peas and cook another 2 minutes, or until they are a bright green.
Add the beans, onions, and potatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are just heated through. Stir in the chives and season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields ?? servings.