Caramelized Onions, Blue Cheese, Wild Mushroom Flatbread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms (cepes, chanterelles, morels, shiitakes)
- Salt to taste
- Coarsely-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Spanish onions sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 recipe Flatbread (listed below)
- Olive oil as needed
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus
- more flour for rolling the dough out
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons crushed fennel
- Olive oil for brushing bread
Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized saute pan. When the butter has melted, add the onions and sugar. Cook slowly until the onions are soft and caramelized.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat in a large saute pan, then add the mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms turn golden brown and have cooked down. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the grill. Flatten the dough, brush with olive oil, and place the dough on the grill. Grill the flatbread dough on one side until golden brown, then turn over. Spread with mozzarella, onions, mushrooms and blue cheese. Serve hot.
Flatbread: Combine the yeast and water in a mixing bowl and let it rest until it becomes bubbly. This should take about 15 minutes. Using the paddle attachment of your electric mixer, combine the flours into the yeast mixture. Add the salt and fennel. Place the dough hook onto the mixer and knead for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the dough. Place it in a lightly oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat it with oil on all sides. Cover the dough with plastic and allow it to rise until doubled in size, which should take about one hour. Punch the dough down. Cover. Allow it to rise another time until doubled, which should take about 45 minutes.
Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide it into as many pieces as you need for whatever you're cooking. Brush lightly with olive oil. Cook on top of a hot charcoal grill or a stove top grill.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- French Onion Soup 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- French Onion Supper Soup 4.4/5 (105 Votes)