Wilted Spinach Salad With Chanterelles
- 1/2 pound chanterelles* sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 bacon slices chopped
- 1 pound spinach
- 5 green onions diced
- 5 radishes sliced
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 hard-cooked egg cut in wedges
* Alternate Mushrooms: Common Store Mushroom, Ear Mushrooms
Parboil the chanterelles for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain. Marinate the chanterelles in the lemon juice for 15 minutes.
In a large sauté pan or skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan.
Clean and wash the spinach in several changes of water. Cut away tough stems. Dry the spinach well and mix with the green onions, radishes, and marinated chanterelles.
Heat the bacon fat in the pan. Add the vinegar and bacon and, while still hot, pour it over the spinach mixture and toss. Serve on warm dishes and garnish with wedges of egg.
This recipe yields 4 first course servings.