Wild Rice And Clamshell Mushroom Salad With Goat Cheese
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups wild rice
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 2 pounds clamshell mushrooms trimmed, cleaned, and chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 pound stemmed arugula or watercress
- 8 ounces fresh white goat cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 large shallots peeled, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds toasted, cracked
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds toasted, cracked
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup mixed dried fruits (such as cherries, cranberries, raisins, figs, or apricots)
Wash the rice under cold water for about two minutes. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil and add the salt, bay leaf, and thyme. Add the rinsed rice to the pot and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until tender. Drain the rice and remove the thyme and bay leaf. Permit it to cool. You should have about seven cups of cooked wild rice.
Use a large skillet to heat the grapeseed oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for five or six minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the heat and drain well.
In a large salad bowl, combine the rice, mushrooms, and nuts. Toss with the vinaigrette and fruits.
To serve, place the salad on a large platter, top with the arugula, and sprinkle with goat cheese.
Vinaigrette: Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, shallots, fennel, cumin, thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Add the dried fruits and mix thoroughly.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (466 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)
- New England Clam Chowder 4.5/5 (108 Votes)