Wild Mushroom Bolognese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound grilled assorted mushrooms (try Earthy Delight's clamshell and shiitake mushrooms)
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can whole tomatoes - (28 oz)
- 1 can tomato sauce - (15 oz)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 pound spelt pasta cooked al dente
- Fresh Pecorino-Romano cheese shaved with a
- vegetable peeler
Use a medium-sized pot to heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring, for roughly five minutes. Add the Madeira wine and cook until reduced, about three minutes.
Add the tomato paste, the salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for less than a minute or so. Add the whole tomatoes, the sauce, and the water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture until it's thickened and fragrant. Stir occasionally and continue to cook for about 30 minutes.
Add the herbs to the sauce and simmer for another five minutes. Remove from the heat and check for seasonings. Add the pasta and toss to coat. Place the mixture in a large serving bowl and shave the Pecorino over the pasta.
This recipe yields ?? servings.