Crispy Potato Strudel
40 minutes prep time plus cooling.
Serve this homey strudel as a main dish meal, a vegetable side dish, or an appetizer!
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed, if frozen
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tbls butter
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 med onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large potato (8 oz) peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup canned white beans, rinsed and drained.
- caraway seeds
1) To prepare filling, in a large skillet, melt butter over med-low heat. Stir in thyme and caraway seeds; cook for 1 minutes. Add cabbage and onion; cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in potato, chicken broth, and garlic. Cover; cook until tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in white beans. Cool for 15 minutes.
3) Preheat oven to 375. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
4) To prepare pastry, unfold phyllo sheets so they lie flat. Cover sheets with plastic wrap and a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.
5) Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large piece of waxed paper. Brush with butter and sprinkle 1/2 Tbls bread crumbs. Place a second phyllo sheet on top. Brush with butter; sprinkle with bread crumbs.
6) Repeat with remaining sheets, butter and bread crumbs, ending with a phyllo sheet,
7) Spoon filling lengthwise down center of pastry to within 2" of edges. Starting with a long side and using waxed paper as an aid, roll up strudel, jelly-roll style. Brush ends with water and fold under to seal.
8) Place strudel, seam-side down, on prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter. Sprinkle with caraway seeds.
9) Bake strudel until lightly golden and crisp, 25 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and cool.