Warm Chanterelle And Pancetta Salad
- 1/4 pound pancetta diced
- 2 shallots peeled, minced fine
- 1/2 pound chanterelles washed, trimmed, and quartered
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 large handfu mixed greens (arugula, red oak, and watercress)
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Cook the pancetta in a medium skillet over low until crisp. This should take bout 20 minutes. Drain the pancetta and blot with paper towels. Transfer to a large bowl. Pour the extra fat off of the pan, leaving a thin film. Place the skillet over medium heat, add the shallots, and cook until tender.
Increase the heat to high and add the chanterelles and pine nuts. Sauté until both the nuts and the mushrooms are lightly browned, about five or six minutes. Transfer to the bowl containing the cooked pancetta.
In the same pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Whisk the lemon juice and the vinegar into the oil and allow it to heat through. Scrape up the tasty browned bits of mushroom from the bottom of the pan.
Add the mixed greens to the bowl containing the pancetta and mushrooms. Add the warm vinaigrette and toss well. Divide between four plates and season to taste with pepper
This recipe yields 4 servings.