Short Ribs with Horseradish Sauce
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium onion cut into wedges
- 3 - 4 lbs boneless beef short ribs
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 2 TBS Dijon-style mustard
- 1 TBS bottled minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz light dairy sour cream
- 2 - 3 TBS prepared horseradish
- 1/8 tsp salt
Place Carrots & onion in 4-5 qt crockpot. Triim fat from short ribs; cut ribs into 2" pieces. Brown ribs in olive oil in frying pan and add to crockpot when browned. In small bowl, stir together wine, beef broth, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Add broth mixture and bay leaf to slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low heat setting for 9 - 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4-1/2 - 5 hrs.
Using slotted spoon, transfer short ribs and vegetables to serving dish, reserving cooking liquid. Discard bay leaf. Skim off fat from liquid, Pour some of the cooking liquid over ribs to moisten. Serve ribs with horseradish sauce.
For horseradish sauce, mix sour cream, horseradish and salt in a small bowl and cover and chill until ready to serve.