Sweet Corn Panna Cotta with Fresh Blueberry Compote
Using sweet corn in a creamy, silky panna cotta makes for an unexpected and delicious summer dessert.
- PANNA COTTA
- 2 ears of corn, husked
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- BLUEBERRY COMPOTE
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from Food&Wine.com
MAKE THE PANNA COTTA In a medium pot fitted with a steamer basket, steam the corn until tender, 15 minutes. Let cool, then cut the kernels from the cobs (you should have 1 1/2 cups); discard the cobs. Transfer the kernels to a blender.
Meanwhile, in a heatproof medium bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over ¼ cup of the milk. Let stand for 5 minutes.
In a small skillet, combine the remaining 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of milk with the cream, salt and both sugars and bring to a bare simmer, whisking to dissolve the sugars. Scrape the hot milk mixture into the gelatin and stir until the gelatin dissolves. Pour the mixture into the blender over the corn and puree until smooth.
Strain the puree through a sieve into a large bowl, pressing on the solids; discard the solids. Strain again without pressing; discard any solids in the sieve. Set the panna cotta in an ice bath until cool, stirring occasionally. Scrape the panna cotta into four 8-ounce ramekins. Cover and refrigerate overnight until firm.
MAKE THE BLUEBERRY COMPOTE In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix until the sugar is dissolved. Let stand for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve the panna cotta in the ramekins with the compote.
MAKE AHEAD The panna cotta can be refrigerated in the ramekins for up to 2 days. The compote can be refrigerated overnight.
You'll also love
- Pineapple Carrot Coconut Cake 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Perfect Pulled Pork 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- BLUE CHEESE POLENTA WITH ROSEMARY... 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Banana Rum Cake w/ Caramel Sauce 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Corn Casserole 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Goat Cheese and Strawberry... 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Cajun Chili with Scallion Corn... 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Blackberry Cobbler 4.5/5 (28 Votes)