Uncle Bill's Deep Fried Zucchini Strips
An excellent snack or appetizer at any time or at a party. I have been making this recipe for over 30 years. Enjoyed by all that love zucchini.
- 1 medium zucchini, - 8 inches long
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons whole milk, homogenized
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3/4 cup cracker crumb, saltines
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil (for deep frying) or 2 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 package bearnaise sauce mix, 2 ounces
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from deep-fried.food.com
Wash and trim zucchini, (DO NOT PEEL).
Cut zucchini into about 2 1/2" long by 1/2" thick strips.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat eggs and milk until fluffy.
In a plastic bag, add flour, seasoning salt and shake well.
In a separate plastic bag, add finely crushed saltine crackers.
Dip zucchini strips in egg mixture.
Drop into flour mixture and shake well to coat.
Dip again into egg mixture.
Drop into crushed crackers and shake well to coat.
Heat olive oil to 325 F to 350 F in a medium-size frying pan or use a deep fryer.
Drop coated zucchini (a few at a time) in the hot oil and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes, turning once, (DO NOT OVERCOOK).
Zucchini should be crunchy.
Serve immediately with Bearnaise Sauce as a dip.
SAUCE FOR DIPPING: Prepare contents of Bearnaise sauce according to package directions or make your own.
NOTE: Instead of using plastic bags, place the flour mixture in a mixing bowl, and the crumbs in a separate bowl. This will not be quite as messy.
Also, Panko crumbs would be excellent or cornflake crumbs.
See Uncle Bill's Homemade Panko Style Bread Crumbs.
You'll also love
- The Best Macaroni Salad Ever- PW 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Linguine with Pesto and Mussels 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pink Lemonade Sherbet Party Punch 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Malibu Strawberry Mojito 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Asparagus & Tomato Salad with Feta 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Baked Corn and Noodles 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Creamy Zucchini and Ricotta dip 5/5 (2 Votes)