Macaroni Quattro Formaggi with Prosciutto
From Martha Stewart
- 6 Tblsp. Butter, plus more for dish
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 C. all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 C. milk
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 C (@4 1/2 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 C. (@6 oz.) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 C (@6 oz.) grated fontina cheese
- 1 1/2 C (@6 oz.) Gorgonzola cheese, broken into small pieces
- 1 lb. ziti or mostaccioli pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced Prosciutto
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3 quart casserole, set aside.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cook until softened, not browned, about 5 minutes.
3. While butter and onions are bubbling, add flour. Cook, stirring constantly with wire whisk to coat onions for 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in milk.
4. Continue to cook, whisking constantly until mix bubbles and becomes thick.
5. Remove from heat; stir in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and all cheeses. Set cheese sauce aside.
6. Cook pasta 2 to 3 minutes less than directed. When done, drain pasta and add into the cheese sauce.
7. Shred some of the thinly slice Prosciutto into small pieces to make about ¼ C. In the bottom of the prepared casserole, place half of the remaining prosciutto. Layer with half of the pasta, remaining prosciutto and another layer of prosciutto. Top with the shredded prosciutto.
8. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.