Sauteed Fiddleheads With Morel Mushrooms
- 1 quart fiddlehead ferns trimmed, rinsed (be sure to remove the papery brown skin)
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 shallots peeled, trimmed, and diced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled, trimmed, and diced
- 2 cups sliced trimmed quickly-rinsed morel
- Salt to taste
- Coarsely-ground black pepper to taste
Steam the fiddleheads over boiling water for about 12 minutes. Test them as they cook to be sure they aren't overcooking. Fiddleheads will cook for different lengths of time depending on their size, their age, and the altitude.
While the fiddleheads are steaming, saute the shallots and the garlic in a skillet over medium high heat. Be very careful not to let them brown. They should wilt, but they shouldn't brown.
Add the sliced morels to the shallots and garlic, and saute for about six minutes, or until the mushrooms are well cooked (morels should never be eaten raw).
Drain the cooked fiddleheads and add the mushroom mixture. Toss well and serve hot.
This recipe yields ?? servings.