Roast Beef Tenderloin With Mushroom Ragout
- MUSHROOM RAGOUT:
- 2 pounds center cut beef tenderloins
- Kosher salt to taste
- Coarse black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound morel mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium shallot peeled, diced
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves stripped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat an oven proof skillet over medium-high heat. Season the tenderloins well with salt and pepper (don't be shy with the pepper). Add the olive oil to the skillet and heat. Add the butter and push it around to melt it and combine it with the olive oil. Add the beef and sear it until it's browned on all sides. This should take about 8 minutes total.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the meat to an internal temperature of about 125 degrees for medium-rare. This will take just under a half hour. Transfer the tenderloins to a cutting board, tent with aluminum foil, and let them rest for 5 or 10 minutes.
Mushroom Ragout: Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the mushrooms and increase the temperature to high. Permit the mushrooms to cook undisturbed until they brown. Shake the pan to turn them over, then add the next two tablespoons of butter along the sides of the pan. Now continue to cook and stir until nicely browned, for about five minutes.
Add the shallots and cook for about two minutes, or until softened. Season with salt and pepper and add the thyme. Take the skillet off the heat and add the wine. Return the pan to the heat and stir, scraping up the brown bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Add the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Drizzle the mushroom ragout over the beef tenderloins and serve with goblets of a good hearty burgundy wine.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
You'll also love
- Beef Tenderloin with Portabella... 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Southwestern Beef Tenderloin with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Fettuccine With Morels, Asparagus,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mushroom Velouté Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mushroom Piroshki Variation 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cream Of Goose Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fried Wild Turkey Fingers 0/5 (0 Votes)